Monday, November 10, 2008

Culture

I walked into the break room and greeted Yete, grabbed my lunch bag and sat down beside him. He had a tray of fries in front of him. He motioned to them and then to me, insisting I have some. "Africans always eat together," he explained. It seemed like he feels uneasy eating alone and not having anyone to share with. That must be a big culture shift for him: going from a place where everyone shares their food to one where people generally provide only for themselves. I am well steeped in my own culture, and so although I have no problem bumming a few fries off my coworkers (and stolen fries always taste better), I kinda felt a little uncomfortable with his insistence that I eat more of his food. I don't know exactly where he's from, but it's a different world.

I like what's familiar and I am a product of my world. The glimpse I caught of Yete's approach to life and communality sparkles with beauty, but it makes me feel awkward. That discomfort gets in the way of me saying "that's wonderful," desiring to see more, or feeling inspired to be more like that.

1 comment: