Friday, November 21, 2008

The Coming

So it turns out Advent started last week.
I'm not good at spiritual habits or discipline these days.
But I'd like to make an effort to observe the season.
It's funny how ideas come to me when at the last minute I wonder whether or not to do anything.
This year, a candle and a song will characterize my Advent devotions:





















O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here,
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny;
From depths of hell thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Dayspring, come and cheer
Our spirits by thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Desire of Nations, bind
All people in one heart and mind.
Bid envy, strife and quarrels cease,
Fill all the world with heaven's peace.
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.


Update: That only lasted about a week before I hit a rebellion phase. I suspected that the candle was releasing soot into the air for me to breathe while I slept, which may not be so healthy. And... it got really hard to say "come." I don't know if I really mean things like "come, welcome, I invite you," these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment