Saturday, November 22, 2008

Missing

I didn't realize how much I missed Katie until today.

We haven't kept in touch much over the past few months, but another friend mentioned her and asked how she was doing, which inspired me to send her an email. She said she was coming to town this weekend and suggested getting together. Amongst the other busyness we planned to have coffee at the mall this afternoon where she would be shopping with her family.

I called as I approached and she had bad news - the kids were acting up so they were all leaving right away. We could maybe stand in line and get coffee together, but she would have to leave shortly after. It might not even be worth finding a parking spot for? But I said, "if I can get ten minutes with you, I'll take it." There were things I needed to talk over with her. I ended up basically blurting them out since there wasn't time for a meandering conversation, but that was better than nothing. Then I walked with her across the mall to her car, just so we could get a little more time together.

She has the context to understand pretty much anything I need to talk about, and I feel like I can get things sorted out by talking them over with her. Being with her always makes me feel better (or distracts me) when I'm grumpy. She was really important to me this summer, and I didn't realize that hasn't faded. She signed a recent email to me "Love ya" and something in me says "I miss you!!!" with all sincerity.

She'll be back for Christmas. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment