These are the best pictures I've ever taken of sunsets. One was taken fifteen years ago from Dad's house, the other thirteen years ago from Mom's. (Granted, they're not so clear when I scan them in, but they were beautiful, let me tell you.) That was half a lifetime ago.

Like I said, tonight's sunset was beautiful. But... it made me sad. Beauty makes me ache and feel sad and empty. It hasn't always been this way, and tonight I remembered the last time I saw a sunset that made my heart jump with joy. It was four years ago. Already then it was becoming a rare thing for me, and that's why I remember it. I was walking out of Liquidation World after having bought fifteen bottles of dish soap for new college students. Tonight I bought one bottle of dish soap for a new college student, saw the sunset as I walked out of Superstore, and remembered how long it's been since I've experienced the light heaviness of joy.
Update 08/22/08: Tonight I noticed that the sunset made me suspicious. I kinda glared at it and thought, "yeah right." Hmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment