Happy Civic Holiday! Since I know almost nothing about this holiday, I thought I would do a little research. It turns out that there is very little to know. It's basically an excuse to have another long weekend in the summer. In Alberta its official name is Heritage Day, when we remember our heritage. I don't think we actually do that though. (A reporter from Eastern Canada asked, "What heritage? Alberta was only discovered the other day, and then only because it was on the way to the other ocean!") According to the Alberta Department of Human Resources and Employment it is not even an official holiday. (I'm glad my employers recognize it as one!) Different provinces give it different significance. Some don't recognize an August holiday at all, some place one at a different time, and some celebrate their province on this day (like New Brunswick Day, Saskatchewan Day, British Columbia Day, and Nova Scotia's and PEI's Natal Day). Some recognize it as an official statuatory holiday, and others just enjoy it despite its unofficial status."First Monday in August Holiday" http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/symbols_facts&lists/august_holiday.html
"What holiday is this anyway?" The Calgary Herald 4 Aug 2008 http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=387d442d-5fe1-4046-89b0-cbe59f5a5d2b
And I found the graphic on The Weather Network's website http://www.theweathernetwork.com/civicday/caab0049
No comments:
Post a Comment