Friday, June 6, 2008

Lying about church

So today at work I had a friendly customer come through, and after the "Hi, how are you today" questions, he asked me, "So, what church are you going to now?" And I said, "Um, I've been involved with Centre Street," while trying to figure out how he knew me. His wife wondered the same thing and asked him how he knew to bring that up, and he credited divine inspiration - the Lord showed him. And I thought it was ironic that I pretty much flat out lied to him.

Not sure what to think about this.

I'm not proud of lying. But I don't feel the need to be honest when strangers ask me questions that may be innocent but for me are deeply personal and laden with baggage. I don't regret the lie in this situation (although I have in some other situations where I've lied about church).

I'm not proud of not going to church. But I feel like right now I can't. I know that I had hoped to find a church to be involved with by the time I finished school and lost that religious outlet, but my efforts to do so made me too miserable and so for now I have given up.

God, were you trying to say something here? Or was it just him talking?
I'm not really in the mood for guilt.

2 comments:

  1. ouch! What's the Holy Spirit telling you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. as opposed to all the times we *are* in the mood for guilt? ;-)

    ReplyDelete