Thursday, June 5, 2008

Quitter

JayCee is quitting. He got another job. Sad. He's one of my favorites and I don't want him to leave. Things are always better when he is around - it gives me a feeling of peace to see him. I've always felt an attraction to him and we seem to have some personality traits in common. (And he's going to school for geology, which is what people always think I said when I tell them I took theology!) I always enjoy talking to him and even being near him. But he's younger than me, and he has a girlfriend, and he's leaving.

He got my phone number, and he gave me his number and his email address. Maybe we'll keep in touch? Maybe we'll become real friends instead of just work friends? But... I have abundant time for work friends since I spend a lot of time at work, and I feel like I have less time and energy to give to real friends so I can't have an unlimited number of them... (Maybe I feel that way just because I've had a busy week.) I don't have room to be close friends with everyone I esteem. But I guess I can't be closed to new friendships. I think that in theory it is impractical to expect to be friends with all the coworkers I am sad to lose, but the general rule doesn't have to apply to this situation.

I work at a place with high turn-over. Although it's the kind of place where someone could stay long-term, for a lot of people it's better for them to move on. I recognize that, in theory. I hate that when it tears my work friends away from me.

Life will go on. I'll forget to miss them, hardly even noticing how things change. But it still makes me feel impoverished each time I lose someone I care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment