I left on Saturday night. I hoped to get off work early, but that didn't turn out so well. I also had to stop at home to get some stuff together, so I got a bit of a late start and I was in a bit of a bad mood. I was tired as I left the city and it was dark and I had a long-ish drive ahead of me, so I figured I should call someone so that talking to them could keep me awake. I decided to call my Mom, and we had talked for half my trip. That was mostly nice, and it served its purpose.
My favorite part of the trip was just talking to Katie the night that I got there (I stayed with her the first night). It was hard to stop talking, say goodnight, and go to bed. And conversation with Katie never fails to make me feel better.
The next morning we got up and went to church. (I'll write more about that later.) Then we ran some errands and hung some shelves and pictures on her walls (a slight disaster). We sat in the back yard for a bit while she did some reading and I wrote a card, and then we had Trevor over for a barbecue.
It turns out Trevor had gone home for the weekend. He specifically came back early to have dinner with us, but I'd hoped to maybe spend the afternoon together or something. I felt a little disappointed by the time we did have together - it felt like we didn't have very much to say. I wondered if we have ever been able to talk really honestly or if is always just surface pretense. I wondered if I just need to let go of this friendship. He left early to turn in an assignment he was worried about. Katie and I planned to go to church (again) with him that evening, but he didn't even sit with us when he got there.
Trevor became a Christian a year ago, and I wanted to acknowledge that so I got him a "Happy Birthday, You're 1!" card. (It's hard to find 1-year-old cards that are appropriate for adults and don't talk about things like being "such a cuddly, bouncy boy," but I guess the reason for that is obvious). He read it later that night, and sent me a series of text messages that felt more like good times between us.
Hey! I just opened your card. I laughed so hard when I saw that it was Winnie the Pooh. Thank you so much though! That was so great that you remembered. I keep all of the inspirational things and letters to cheer me up in case I ever have a poor day, and you've got a good majority of the stack, so thank you! That was a great verse that you picked out too! [Zephaniah 3:17] Please do me one last favour though... Please don't reply! I hate it when you spend the fifteen cents! [Until recently, I hadn't had a text message plan on my phone.] Thanks for your friendship and your support though, it was wonderful to spend the evening with you! Have a great night, and God Bless!
I spent Sunday night and Monday with Oma. We went to the Dollar Store, got Booster Juice for lunch (she'd never had it before and wanted to go when I mentioned that's what I'd done with Katie) and I treated because I was feeling like I need to start being an adult, and then we went to the elementary school to help the Grade 5 kids (including my cousin) learn to knit. It was fun but not very successful, and it inspired some doubts about my teaching ability.
I have another friend who also lives in this city: Abel. We used to be really close, but we kind of stopped talking to each other even before he moved away. A few months ago I sent him an email saying I'd probably be coming to town sometime and wondering if he'd be interested in getting together. I never heard back from him. I emailed him again this time telling him to call me if he was free, and I was surprised when he actually called! I stayed a little later than I planned so that he and I could go out for coffee, and although it was brief it was pretty good. He is doing well and that is nice to see.
Then I came home to go to bed, 'cause I had to get up stupid early the next morning for work!
No comments:
Post a Comment