Sunday, September 7, 2008

Church

I went to church today. I've been feeling like I ought to go, and I have Sundays off right now. It was alright, pretty non-awful.

Last night I wrote, Church tomorrow. I'm not sure what to expect from the experience. I hope I wake up on time... Jesus, as I come, might I have the sense that you welcome me?

I chose the church by the company. I don't feel like I personally have strong enough ties to any particular church right now, and I didn't particularly want to be alone. But although I wanted to go with a friend, I didn't want to feel like I had to fit my experience to their expectations of me. I wanted to be able to have an honest experience, whatever that might be. Anyway, so I called up Nick last night to ask him if I could go to church with him. Although I haven't seen or really talked to him since we met, I feel comfortable being honest around him and he knows where I'm at. When I asked him what church he goes to, he made it easy by immediately asking if I wanted to come with him, and I liked that.

Church itself was okay. I succeeded at getting up on time. I felt dull and flat during the worship. I left during communion. The fellowship break was kinda neat - I knew a few other people at this church too, and then I had a conversation with another guy who was new. The sermon was presented by a visiting prophet, and although I felt wary about that, he was winsome and funny and he didn't make me mad or sad. They invited me to come to Young Adults that night and I declined. But I told Nick I'd come to church with him again next week.

I liked seeing Nick again. He is a funny funny person. After church he let me in on his secret of the day - a big hole in the crotch of his pants, and the fact that he doesn't own underwear. Then we went and had lunch with his family. And he gave me a great hug when I left and we said we should hang out.

There must be more than this...
Spirit of God, come...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it was non-awful and I'm glad you had a friend to go with. It think having that kind of support is the most important feature of church.

    ReplyDelete