Saturday, September 6, 2008

Thoughts on Vault

I think I have developed a sensitivity to hand sanitizer. I noticed today that I instantly developed a headache after using it. I've had a lot of headaches lately, and I've used a lot of hand sanitizer lately - for good reasons. Not only am I working with money (which is gross) these days, but I have a cold and the girl training me has a son with immune deficiencies so she can't get sick. Good thing I'm getting better, 'cause the headaches aren't fun.

Working in the vault is good. I'm learning quickly and feeling confident. Yesterday (my third day) I forgot all my cheat sheets at home so I did the job without notes with relative success. My trainer basically leaves me to do the job by myself, because I can, and she says I'm already as good as the other girl who's being doing it for a year. Of course, I haven't done mornings yet, and they say that's a lot harder. But I still have another week on nights, and I think my trainer's going to get pretty bored.

It's amazing how much money can fit into a small amount of space. The value of money is outstanding compared to its size. A bundle of hundreds, less than an inch thick, is $10 000. Crazy! In a slow moment yesterday I was sitting in the chair just looking at the safe, realizing how much was in there despite the fact that it looked quite empty.

My mental capacity for numbers is stretching. I'm good with the thousand range, but I have a hard time thinking in the ten-thousands. I think that 12 000 plus 200 is 14 000. But it's not. And I'm learning that. I'm also getting good at dividing by five. For instance, I know that 35 twenties is $700, 60 twenties is $1200, etc. I'm better at dividing by five than by two it turns out - fifties provide mental gymnastics for me. Like, 37 fifties... huh?

So far I don't mind the isolation. I'm not completely alone because my trainer's around. The vault is peaceful. When I leave for an errand or a break, it feels like I am waking from a nap. "There's people! There's noise and bustle! It's bright! Strange." I don't miss the people all that much yet, because most of the good ones are gone anyway. But there's a lot of transition going on in my department right now though - a new manager and a bunch of new staff - and it's weird being gone for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment