Hey, that really sucks that you didn't get a lunch break on Sunday!
Oh what? You did? Well then it's really unfortunate that all the phone lines went down right at that time.
Yeah well then why didn't you call like you said you would?
I haven't had this (half of a) conversation yet. I'm wondering if I should, or if I should just leave it.
They had a group of us over for dinner last week, and it was great. I felt like I wanted to reciprocate, having them and others over to my place. Yesterday seemed like the best time to do it; the next few weeks might get busy. They said they were free so I said it was a go and invited some other people too and made plans to cook and clean. Then on the day of I went in to pick up a couple things and he told me that actually they had double booked - they said they'd have dinner with his aunt. But on his lunch break he would call her and see if they could get out of it, and then he would call me and let me know. I never heard from him.
There were other cancellers too. At first I was concerned about inviting too many people and not having enough chairs; in the end only two guys came. I guess I know who my real friends are in this crowd? And they were nice about it and helped me feel okay about it. "All the cool kids are here," he said. We had a pretty good time. Good conversation. Sometimes it's better when the crowd is smaller.
But... he said they would come, and then he said he would call, and nothing. Do I bring it up with him? What do I say if he brings it up? (Yeah, it put you on the jerk list? Do I have a jerk list? Is that what gets a person on there?) It doesn't have to be a big deal. (That's okay, I'm still friends with jerks.) I guess that's just who he is - a ditzy, forget-about-people kind of guy. We had a similar problem the day before:
I needed him to fix a problem on a till, something that we had done incorrectly earlier. He was out on the floor so I went to find him.So do I just forget about it because that's just who he is and things turned out okay anyways? Or do I bring it up because I could be witty and it would remind him that people want to be remembered?
Hey, are you here to help me take these up to the front?
Yeah, I can do that, but I need you to come too so we can fix this.
Okay, I'll be up in a minute.
Alright, 'cause I'm off in two and a half minutes.
So I went up and waited for him. And waited for him. And waited for him. Eventually I got on the radio:
Hey, are you coming to fix this?
Oh, sorry, I forgot.
Seriously, how did he forget? So much for off in two and a half minutes.
Update 10/01/08: He apologized. Said they felt awful about it. I said Oh yeah instead of it's okay. I wasn't quite sure how upset I was. But I felt pretty miserable. (And that felt like home. Hmmm...)
And then he did it again. On Wed he was having people over to watch Ironman, and at the end of his shift he asked me if I was coming. Probably, I said, but I don't remember how to get to your place. He asked if I still had his phone number and I thought I did, but he offered to give it to me again just in case, and I said, That would be awesome. I figured he'd write it down on something and hand it to me 'cause I was busy on a till. But he just left without giving me anything. That is definitely not the way to get off the jerk list. I was really upset. Which kinda tells me I was still upset about Sunday.
As Trevor says, "He does have the memory of a goldfish." He'll be gone for the weekend. It'll be nice to not have him around so I can forget about this.
No comments:
Post a Comment