Saturday, May 24, 2008

Loss and Gain

We drove by a church sign that said, "Does your spiritual house need a spring cleaning?" and he posed the question to me. I said I don't know, and asked it back to him. He said no, he thinks his spiritual house is just fine. I added that I don't think spring cleaning would suffice for me and my spirit.

He heard this in the context of previous conversations we've had. He knows that I'm not proud of who I am because I had hoped to grow along a different trajectory and I feel like there is so much I have lost. And he said that he's kinda glad I'm not who I wanted to be, because that person would have nothing to do with him. I told him that I didn't think that would be the case, but it's true that who I wanted to be would have even less in common with him.

Lose everything to gain a friend?
Maybe the gains are myriad but disguised.
Maybe I only thought I knew what I wanted.

His statement implied that he values me. I said explicitly that I like having him in my life. I'm glad to be someone who can be his friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment