Saturday, August 11, 2007

Defn: Neurosis

Neurosis: a relatively mild personality disorder typified by excessive anxiety or indecision and a degree of social or interpersonal maladjustment. (www.dictionary.com)

Four or five years ago, a guy I worked with jokingly called me neurotic a couple of times, which prompted me to look into what it really meant. At that time the dictionary basically just defined 'neurotic' as placing an over-importance on other people's opinions. This was in contrast to 'psychotic', which meant you were really crazy.

I looked up the definitions again a few years ago, and I was unsettled to find out that they had changed. At that time neurotic pretty much meant the same as psychotic, just without the hallucinations.

I'm glad to see that tonight the definition has returned to something not too crazy, something characteristic of many people (as that friend assured me way back when), something that I wouldn't be afraid to say of myself at times. What a relief! Though I'm not sure why...

No comments:

Post a Comment