Saturday, July 4, 2009

Elle

- very well intentioned
- wants to be a great friend to me
- ... I'm not sure I want her close anymore

Old Grievances
- phoned to tell me all about what was going on in her life, and then said "I better go" before asking about mine - taught me that this isn't a friendship where I should expect to share/be open
- spaghetti sauce for xmas - "this is really basic, low-grade stuff" - but it was my best
- wedding date - "Still in April?" "What? You still think that?"
- cleaning up her kitchen - "everything's in the wrong spot" instead of "thank you!" - today I tidied up after dinner, and I felt awkward when she expressed her gratitude and helped. I wanted it to be ignored. It's what I do anyway.

- "either way" - your catch phrase makes no sense in context!

- you remember too clearly who I was, and I think your expectations are still based on that
- conversations feel like a report, not an exploration
- I feel reticent to share
- I usually don't like your responses to whatever I do share

- I can't believe anything you say. Your plans for the future will not come true. Just listening to them exhausts me. You say everything with such confidence, but still it doesn't last.
- Maybe this time you're right. Maybe things are changing. I don't know if I believe it.

- I wonder if I only have a certain amount of energy for each friendship. If so, you used it up a long time ago.
- You are devoted to our friendship because I stood by you through so many things. Now you want to return the favour. But it takes energy for me to receive your friendship, and I have checked out. I only stay for nostalgia's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment