Graduation ceremonies tomorrow. A year ago I was the one walking across that stage. The day after tomorrow, a dinner celebrating the woman graduating from our major. Last year that dinner was for me.
Remembering grad... I never got around to blogging about it - things were so busy then, and I left the next morning on choir tour which restricted my internet access as well as provided its own topics for blogging. But looking back, I remember... How Mara was here and we cooked turkey that week. How a lady at work hooked me up with my grad dress. How my family came and Mom brought Inid. How my brother functioned as my own personal photographer. ("Now come and take a picture of me and this person!") How I got to be the center of attention. How many of my profs said, either to me or to my Mom, that it was an honor for them to teach me. How I looked down the line of profs and identified how much so many of them had meant to me over the years.
So much has changed since then. At work, I got a full time supervisor position and I've learned to work in payroll and the vault. Religiously, I've stopped trying to consider God and I friends - I guess I've given up, like for so long I wanted to but wasn't sure what that meant. Relationally, a year ago I was still opposed to getting into a relationship and I hadn't yet met Justin, and now we've been together for nearly six months.
The dinner my major had in our honor last year meant a lot to me. I was given a chance to explain my thesis to my friends, and in so doing, to explain my life, what lies beneath the surface, and how I'd grown over my years in school. I feel quite disconnected from all that now. I should go back and read my thesis. I wonder what I'll think.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment