Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Back to School

It's school time again. I had my first class this morning.

A week or so ago I was thinking about this return to school and how I felt about it. The past month or so of summer has gone pretty well (well, except for the malfortunate things), and I am feeling pretty good, and I would be okay if summer continued on for another few months. I could handle some more time of going to work every day and not doing homework. But alas, it is not to be, and I have adjusted myself to that realization. So now I am kind of apathetic and meh about going back to school.

It's going to be a lot of work. It always is. And that makes me nervous - my academic work ethic has gone down hill over the past few years. And this year, on top of classes, there are a lot of projects I need to be self-motivated and non-procrastinating about - a practicum and a thesis. Can I do it? I have to.

This is my last year, and I am very aware of that. This whole year will be a long list of "last times" and it's started already. The last time I go to choir rehearsal camp, the last time we sing at orientation day, the last time I start a new school year, the last time I get a new mailbox number. It's nostalgic. And it makes me realize I need to do all I can to value these experiences while I still have them. Like dropping in on profs - something I don't do very often, but something I would like to do a little more and something I won't be able to do very easily after this year. Sigh, I hope to leave with no regrets (but don't know if it's possible).

I must admit that it is neat to be back and to see school people again. There are all sorts of people who I really like, but forgot about over the summer! I came back to sweetness and hugs and people who were glad to see me too. That has been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment