Saturday, September 8, 2007

Decisions

I've had a couple of decisions come up lately. School-related things. In the big picture they're really not a big deal, but I'm not sure what to choose, and I need to decide really quickly. So I thought that writing might help me process.

The first decision is regarding choir and singing. I probably enjoy it more than I realize, but one problem that I have is that I really don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what is good and what is wrong in singing and it would probably be good for me to receive some personal teaching. I've thought about taking voice lessons, and if I am ever going to do so it should be at a time when I am singing regularily so I can use what I learn - like now, while I am in choir. But the thought really really scares me. It took a lot of effort for me to indicate my interest to my choir director, who's offering voice lessons through the school. He got back to me with a not-so-eager response because I don't want to do it for credit (I don't want to pay more, do a recital, or do a jury for credits I don't need, but it makes it a little trickier for him). Now I don't know if I should pursue this anyways, or just take the easy path and let it pass by. I guess I don't have to take voice lessons from this guy - other teachers wouldn't care so much whether I do it for credit or not.

The second decision I am facing pertains to classes. I have a conflict between two things I want to take this year: Greek and World Civ. (Interestingly enough, these were both classes that I was excited about not taking when I didn't think I was finishing my degree.) I have to take World Civ: it's required for my degree. And I love history, and the Prof seems great. We're talking about Egypt, Greece and Rome in the first semester and I think that will be really interesting. I want to take Greek: I excelled at it last year and that was so affirming, and I would love to learn more. I could even see my future in Greek - when I looked into seminary programs (for fun and possible long-term plans) what really caught my eye was the Masters programs with concentrations in Biblical Languages, the ones that would qualify me to be a Greek teacher.
Both classes are on the schedule at 8:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays. I've known about this scheduling conflict since the Spring and I've done what I can to resolve it. The Prof and the Registrar suggested that I just register for both courses, and Greek (being a small class) would get moved to a time convenient for everyone. When I saw the same schedule, unchanged, come out this fall, I was disappointed and thought this would mean I couldn't take Greek, since World Civ was required for me and Greek was merely an unneeded elective. But the Prof told me we'd just try to hold the class at a different time, regardless of what the schedule says.
It turns out that couldn't be; there is no other time that works for everyone. So the Registrar and Dean are offering me a deal: they will allow me to be exempted from World Civ so that I can be available to take Greek. World Civ 1 will no longer be a requirement for me. I didn't expect to face this choice! I expected that if I could only take one, Greek would have to go, no question. Now that I have to decide, I don't know what I want! (Another factor that complicates matters slightly is that fact that I have already purchased textbooks for World Civ, they were expensive, and I've started hilighting them...)
I will probably choose Greek, it just feels funny to let go of what I thought was a given (World Civ).
I could always take World Civ by correspondance, and I could do that at any time; it wouldn't have to be now since they say I don't need it anymore and it would just be for learning purposes. I was kinda looking forward to taking them both at the same time though - to learn about ancient Greece while learning Greek. But it would save me money to drop a class. But it would be hassle to drop down to part time. But it would give me more time for my thesis, and for visiting and coffee!

Sigh. I don't know what to do with my own life.

Update 09/10/07 I chose Greek. And I think I'm choosing voice lessons from a different teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment