Monday, January 19, 2009

Good Day

a. I had an early shift, which means I lost out on sleep but almost half my shift is over by the time we open and I have the evening free.
b. This morning at work JeffI walked by and asked if I wanted a coffee. I was a little confused, so he clarified that he was going to Starbucks and asked if I wanted anything. So I put in a request for a tea misto, and it was just the best thing ever. The gesture was as good as the drink - you really can't include everyone in Starbucks runs, and he chose to include me. We're not close, but this was kind of a vote for our positive-co-worker-ship.
c. I forecasted some doom this morning when a third of our opening staff called in sick (and we're kind of understaffed to start with). But everything went pretty smoothly, considering. Well, at one point the line-up went back almost as far as the flowers (several aisles) and there wasn't any more staff I could borrow. But there was nothing I could do about it, so it was a very pleasant defeat.
d. All the missing staff made me grateful for the staff that did show up. Several times I wanted to say, "Thank you so much for coming to work today!" (but I didn't).
e. I went to Quizno's for lunch, and picked up lunch for Anson and Tim too. Two good moments are associated with this. The first: standing at the podium with them discussing how, oh yeah, I did need to go for lunch break. Asking out loud what I should get for lunch, turning that question into "what do you guys want for lunch?" And the second good moment: Getting into my car and thinking about how it's easier to be happy when you're getting food, when the sun is shining and it's beautiful and warm out, and when you're gladly doing something nice for someone.
f. I had some good talks with coworkers on breaks.
g. I saw the license plate I was looking for (#73) while I was on buggies.
h. I remembered to apply for the payroll crosstraining position. I procrastinated - today was the deadline - and it feels good to have gotten it done and not missed the opportunity.
i. I bought Anson some pudding. We've talked before about how he only likes vanilla and I only like chocolate and how we should share pudding since it only comes in a variety pack. Then today it went on coupon, so I bought two boxes, separated the flavors, and left all the vanilla in his locker. Then on my way out I told him about it so he wouldn't be confused. "So I bought you some pudding! But only vanilla." Giving little surprises like this makes me feel like a good person.
j. I love coming home when the sun is shining into my apartment. It's such a bright feeling.

And the day's not even over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment