Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Scheduling Vacation

Migley, I went to talk to my manager today about getting time off for Explore!

Going to Quebec for five weeks. Being in a university program to learn more French and experience the culture. Having an excuse to get over my "I can't speak French" feelings. The government paying for my classes, accomodations and food. Hanging out with you, Migley. Eating poutine and going to a used bookstore? Going to my beloved Anglican bookstore! And a music store so I can finally buy Les Cowboys Fringants, etc? Seeing our friends. Going to church with them. Being in Quebec without my snowpants.

I needed to ask for the time off work now because all vacation requests submitted in January are weighed by seniority, and after that it's first come first serve. I need to pull a seniority trip for this one - including choir tour, I'm asking for eight weeks off in the two and a half months approaching the busy summer season!

I get three weeks paid vacation a year, and I'll need that for choir tour. The rules say I can only have two weeks in the summer. I knew this, but I thought I would ask anyway. (This is the only year I'll be able to do this because it's a program for students, and after this I won't be a student anymore.) At first my manager flat out said no, but then I explained and now he is going to take it up with the top manager and see what he can do! This is not a promise, but neither is it a "no", and I think the chances are pretty good. He suggested that maybe to avoid the vacation restrictions what they'll do is something like our student retention program - they'll essentially lay me off, and then rehire me with the same seniority when I get back.

Before I asked I felt confident but understanding that the answer might be no. After I asked and he said "possibly" I felt nervous and excited. I asked God for a yes, and now it feels weird to have not gotten a no. I have a hint of fear that this will jeopardize my job, but I don't think that's realistic. For the past several summers I have had travel-somewhere-to-take-some-kind-of-class plans, and they've never materialized (they haven't been as big of a deal as this one, though, and I haven't needed to plan ahead for them as much so procrastination has been my downfall). I value stability and I don't do many exciting things like this. It feels like stepping out into the big world. And I think this will be so good for me. I really like languages, and I'd love a chance to pursue that. And I won't feel so guilty about not going to Quebec this Feb if I am coming in the summer.

I'm a little afraid of telling my Mom. I think she'll say, "What?! What do you mean you're going to take five weeks off work?! You need the money!" I have savings; I'll be fine. And maybe she'll respond differently than I expect.

1 comment:

  1. isn't it crazy (and slightly disturbing) that getting older doesn't remove that "i can't disappoint my parents" feeling? even if it's a decision we're not at all ashamed about - even one we're extremely proud of!!! - somehow it's hard.

    for the record, i'm really excited you're taking steps toward doing this! what are the dates?

    ReplyDelete