Friday, January 18, 2008

Farewell Barry

Hi Michelle, Barry calling. Hope you’re doing well today.
I felt badly today when I saw you that I hadn’t communicated with you prior to the announcement today of our plans. I really tried to think of people in the circle of my life that I wanted to tell personally or ahead of time, and I realized I didn’t have your name in my email list and I didn’t communicate with you… So I’d love to talk with you more, and again I apologize for not communicating with you sooner and I hope we can talk sometime, that’d be great.
Thanks a lot and talk to you soon. Bye.

I got this message on my phone, and I was so touched that I am someone who he wanted to tell personally. It was not just nice to not have to find out through the grapevine - it was an honor to be acknowledged as someone who deserves more than the general announcement.

By the time I got this I hadn't actually heard yet that there was any news. This message made me assume that Barry is leaving - and I was right. He's going to pursue Globalization and International Development, although he's not sure what will come after the initial step. His heart takes him to the French world, and to the developing world.

Barry, I value who you have been in my life. ~ three times you led us to Montreal ~ you've seen me cry so often ~ you gave me grace when I couldn't hand projects in on time for your class ~ you prayed for me in chapel ~ you came when I spoke in chapel ~ you edited my testimony when I shared it in French ~ you made time to have a French club with us ~ you gave me the chance to share about my family's crisis and my moral downswing ~ you cared ~ Above everything else, thank you for hoping for me for so long, Barry, for your confidence that I will have a "matin de jubilation." You will be missed.

I "trust God with you for his good purposes to be fulfilled in and through your lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment