Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Farewell Larry

Today we found out that our beloved school president Larry has been asked by the board to leave his position. I guess his direction for the school conflicted with theirs, and the board members are the ones who are really in charge. And the students are left largely in the dark to mourn the loss.

I feel like this is ultimately unfair to Larry and his family. He had dreamed about this job for years. He left a secure life in BC and relocated his family here when we offered him the presidency of our school. Now merely ten months later, we're asking him to move on. Withdrawing the dream. I feel like we are an awful institution to have done this to him. They say he took the news so graciously, possibly entertaining mutual feelings about the difference in direction, and even praying blessing upon the board and the school before he left. But it makes me so sad to imagine the conversation when he got home - breaking the news to his wife, to his daughter, to their friends and family. His employment with us is already over. We didn't get to say goodbye.

I loved Larry. That feeling was common among the students. He paid attention to us and made us feel valued. He'd often be found in the lounge playing pool with the guys, and he always had a kind greeting as he passed you in the hall. He was so friendly and personable. One time last year after a weekend of choir concerts, a friend invited him to hang out at A&W with us - and he came! And he treated us! And he stayed for quite a while, and we had a fun conversation! That's when he told us that we could address him however we were comfortable, and if we wanted to call him Larry, we could call him Larry. He had been there when I spoke in chapel, and he told me that he really appreciated what I had to say. He came to our last concert last year in Lethbridge and he met my Grandma, and he came to our first concert this year and met my Mom (he was eager to - when I told him she was there he said "Will I get to meet her?"). He even offered to help me move - at work one day a month and a bit ago, his wife came through my till and asked me how I was doing and how school was going. I told her about how I was feeling busy with moving. A few minutes later Larry came up to me and asked if I needed help moving. This was after the moving was already finished, but I was so touched by his offer. I was so touched by his warmth. I often told people about how wonderful he is. We were blessed to have Larry.

As sad as this news is, and as much as I didn't expect it, neither did I find it shocking. I think I'm getting used to school-related loss. It started when Melody was laid off several years ago. That was such an upsetting shock. Then after all the stress of the potential merger, President Dirks left (although we were nervous about the resulting instability, we didn't really miss him). We lost a lot of other staff after that too. Then last year Lucas and Henric left. I cried so much when Lucas announced in chapel that he was leaving us (and not just moist eyes and a pressure in the chest, but tears streaming down my face and ragged breathing). I loved Lucas. And then Henric announced he was moving away to support his wife in her goals, and although I wasn't close to Henric, I cried for all those whose hearts were breaking, I cried when his voice broke with tears, and I cried more for the loss of Lucas. I think that surprise and finality are the two aspects that hurt the most. Today I shed some tears for the finality regarding Larry, but I've learned not to be surprised.

Farewell Larry. You have been loved and you will be missed. May God make better dreams come true.

1 comment:

  1. Well we got the bomb dropped on us yesterday that the school here has fired all the Fine Arts Faculty and we're being shut down completely come the new year!! And that nobody is going to be GrandFather Claused. Whah!!!!

    It's such a mess up here right now. I am extremely sorrowed to hear that Larry is being asked to move on. I'm really wondering what's going on in the Spiritual realm right now....There are days I wish I could see everything. I am sorry Chele, no that I'm sending you a hearty hug, and many prayers.

    I love you, and these are hard times. But God is a good God with a Great plan, as easy as it is for me to say it, I'm struggling to wholey believe in this thought without hypocrisy. But....I will be praying for you, the school, Larry and His Family. If it crosses your mind, would you mind raising us up here in prayer too? Thanks dear one.

    Much Love.
    J

    ReplyDelete