Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thank You Cards

Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
Thank you for the birthday money. I used it for...

What do Grandma and Grandpa want to hear? What do they want me to use their monetary gift for? Especially when all the income goes into an account, and then all the expenses come out of it, and I'm not using this exact money for one particular thing - the answer to what I did with their gift is not really straightforward. Should I say it went towards rent and groceries? No, too quotidian. Dental bills? Not positive enough... and I don't think I want to get into that. Savings? Too practical and under-valued. Soda and yarn and candy and books? Too frivolous.
They will want to hear that they have benefited me by giving me something special, something I value and may not otherwise have - and something they understand and approve of. Something that makes them feel good about giving me birthday money.

No comments:

Post a Comment