Thursday, January 27, 2011

Saga Continues

It kinda feels like Sue is avoiding me. Although our desks are five feet apart, she doesn't send much attention my way. Maybe that's no different than it was last week - she is super busy - but I really feel it this week. Another manager (who sat in Sunday's original meeting with us, and then talked with Sue on Monday) told me about how bad she felt about the situation, but Sue didn't apologize to me herself. In one sense, I understand - when I do something awful to someone, I feel ashamed and it's hard to address that with them. But I acknowledge that that isn't a mature response, and I expect Sue to do better I do.

Sue did bring it up at the end of the day on Wednesday. Of course, she waited until I was off and on my own time, trying to go home. I had already scanned out and picked up some things, and then I returned to my desk to grab my coat and lunchbag when she stopped me. She started by pointing out my attendance to me - since the last counselling notice, she said that I had accrued another three lates. "Now, I'm not going to write you up this time, but..." Well, one of those lates was after she wrote up the last counselling notice but before she delivered it to me - not exactly fair warning (not that that's a fair excuse...). The second late, recorded as 49 minutes, was on Monday. The day she gave me off. The day she called me at 8:00, I talked to the store manager at 8:08, and I got to work at 8:49 - 49 minutes after my typical shifts would start, but 23 hours and 11 minutes before I was next supposed to be at work. The final late was Tuesday, 9 minutes, because after the gong show of Monday I was not so inclined to be on time the next day. She apologized, white-ed out the second tardy, and said she felt embarrassed (which actually made me feel worse). And I felt aghast.
Sue said that she wished that I just hadn't answered my phone on Monday. She regrets when she has to call me at home (for a while it was a weekly occurence on my days off, just with quick little questions), but the store manager insists. Should I just stop answering calls from work? That feels so unreliable to me... but if my manager is pretty much recommending it...
I have a vacation/leave of absence booked for March - three weeks. We won't really have the coverage then either, and Brandy will go crazy, but I need it. And Sue seems to think that because this time off is booked, that makes everything better... but it doesn't make things okay right now.

I took today off work. I pre-arranged it with Sue, and Brandy is in today. I read, sat on the couch, and watched TV. It was nice, but it didn't fix things. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment