I'm back to work tomorrow, after having three days off. Brandy's off for the next week on her vacation, so I'll be working alone (and committing alone this Monday - so much for trying to refuse to do that...).
I'm closing this awful week with some resolve. Unfortunately, I will no longer be able to work overtime. I'm going to try to cut off my shifts at exactly eight hours, even minimizing the small bits that creep in as I try to finish things up on an otherwise normal-length day. The odd time circumstances may require an hour or so of overtime, but working extra will be by my decision, and not a feeling of obligation. Generally, they'll have to ask me to work overtime, rather than me asking their permission.
I will endeavour to develop my problem-anticipation skills, and I will try to avoid upcoming problems by alerting Dee and giving her a chance to provide solutions. If this system doesn't work, I am going to prove that it doesn't work by following it and letting her deal with the results.
I'm not going to answer the phone any more when work calls. They can leave me a message, and after listening to it I can decide whether or not I will call them back - with no obligation to do so. It's my time.
You guys have suggested I quit... I can't do that. Two reasons: first, I like my job, in theory. When I think of someone else processing my resignation, I get jealous! I'm not ready to go. Plus, job searching and training and new stuff all sucks. I'm also bound by loyalty. Now, I'm not saying that my loyalty will last forever and that I'll never quit, but this is kind of like a relationship, and you can't just break up after the first fight. I've been there so long, and I've been really grateful that through all the recent recession stuff I haven't had to fear for my job.
Still, next week needs to be better than this past one.
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You'd be surprised how much I know how you feel. I really think we need to get together.
ReplyDelete