Friday, June 25, 2010

Psychology of Numbers

Have you ever heard of the psychology of colours? The idea is that different colours affect us unconsciously in different ways. Red implies urgency and makes us rush. Blue might create peace and calmness (I'm trying to remember), and blue or green rooms definitely make us feel colder. (My Mom, who is a nurse, has seen this firsthand: patients in hospital rooms with blue or green walls ask for more blankets than those in red or orange rooms.)

I wonder if there is also a psychology of numbers. Do we inherently react differently to different types of numbers? For instance, think about 195, and then about 153. Do they feel any differently to you?

I find numbers that end in a 5 or 10 carry a feeling of completeness. Those ending in 2 are comfortingly even. Numbers that have repeating digits, digits that are multiples of others, or digits that add up in certain ways (like 363) interest me.

Is this just me? As I was thinking about this I began to wonder how much junior high math has haunted me, and whether I approach any number wondering if I'll be required to factor it...

195 = 5 x 3 x 13

363 = 3 x 11 x 11

153 = eh? (3 x 3 x 17)

2 comments:

  1. 153 is what is sometimes called a narcissistic number because 1^3 + 5^3 + 3^3 = 153!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just as fascinated by nimbers and cool on the narcissistic anumber thing

    ReplyDelete