Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ouch

Once upon a time, my ex and I thought we were going to get married. A lady that I looked up to at the time as a mentor had some previous experience as a pre-marital and pre-engagement counsellor, so we spent some time talking with her and her husband, preparing for marriage.

I clearly remember one question she posed. "Fifty percent of all marriages end in divorce. Another forty percent are unhappy. What makes you think that your relationship will be the one in ten that works?" She meant it as a reality check.
What makes you think that you will be the anomaly? What makes you so special?

It's been six years, and neither the relationship with my ex nor the relationship with my mentor have lasted, but that question has remained with me. And it carries the weight of an even larger scope than marriage: what makes you think your life will be happy? What sets you apart from everyone else that will give you success when so many fail? When the odds are not in anyone's favour, what makes you think you'll be lucky?

There is no answer. Trying to point to anything seems naive and boastful. ("Because we're in love? Almost everyone is in love when they marry; that doesn't guarantee a happy marriage.)

So I expect doom, regret the advice I've been given, and try to move forward anyways. It's just hard not to limp sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. i don't think that each relationship is hardwired for either failure or success, and that we have no choice in the matter. (i mean, within reason. some pairings are just bad news, no matter what.)

    maybe the ten percent aren't just lucky. maybe they're doing something right.

    ReplyDelete