Thursday, February 11, 2010

Banana Ketchup


The other day we were walking through Sobey's, and we came across banana ketchup!! We went back to buy it today, and it was fantastic.

I guess (according to Wikipedia) that banana ketchup found its debut in the Philippines during WWII when there was a shortage of tomatoes to make regular ketchup. It also seems to be popular in St. Lucia, which is where the stuff I found came from (it's actually a product of St. Lucia - I've never seen anything imported from there before!).

We tried it today as a condiment for our yam fries and chicken fingers. It has a background sort of flavour, like many condiments. It tasted a little vinegar-y and a little sweet and a little ketchup-y. I found it definitely worth trying (although that may be because of the novelty of it more than its intrinsic amazingness).

2 comments:

  1. Sweet!!
    I'm definitely going to Sobeys to find this and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "intrinsic amazingness" <-- hee!

    ReplyDelete