Sunday, June 7, 2009

Thoughts on Working

On her blog, she wrote:
Tomorrow I have to work and I'm cringing at the idea. I hate work. I've reached that point in my year where I curse the thought of working full-time. My co-worker and friend says it happens to everyone around summer. When I work full time I become so aware that my time is not my own and that over 1/3 of my day I put effort into something that really doesn't concern or affect me at all except to pay the bills.
Reading her thoughts made me notice my own. I don't feel that way. I am so glad I have a job to go to for eight hours a day so that I don't have to worry about filling that time myself. I have no idea what I would do if I wasn't working. Of course there's a long list of chores and projects that are currently neglected, but I know they wouldn't get done anyways because I wouldn't be in the mood. I would just sit around awkwardly, lamenting the lack of structure. At least when I'm working I'm getting out of the house, I'm interacting with people, and I have purpose. And I like the money it provides me with. I haven't had to worry in a long time, and I'm grateful.

Of course it helps that I really enjoy the job I'm doing right now. I'm past the crazy part of the learning curve, but there is still a lot to learn and it is challenging. I don't work with anyone who bothers or frustrates me; I enjoy the few coworkers I regularly interact with. I get my evenings free, so I don't feel like work has to be my whole entire life.

And of course, I still wish I didn't have to get up so early - or get up at all - for work. I wish work wasn't a conflict with sleep. But even for that reason, I don't dread it.

In my contrast between my attitude and my friend's, besides the obvious benefits of liking your job or not minding the necessity of going to work, I'm not sure that I come out on top. I think my fondness for work is in a way a discomfort with and an escape from life.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment