A couple weeks ago, my coworker made an announcement when I got back from my lunch break. "Pam and I have decided that you are not allowed to bring baking in to work anymore. And when the other girl brings in stuff, we're not going to have any. And we're going to go for walks on our lunch break." They are trying to eat healthy and lose weight. I was a little stunned by their announcement though. There are two aspect to my feelings, and I'm not quite sure which should win out.
A) I want to support their goals. I don't want to tempt them to eat junk food when they are trying to be healthy. And if my "kindness" is detrimental to them, then it's not kind.
B) I share my baking to show that I care. I feel that by preemptively rejecting my goodies, they are rejecting me and my attempts to be kind. And it was surprising to be told that I am "not allowed" to do something by people who have no authority over me.
Consideration A isn't a new thought to me, and as a result I haven't been sharing treats as much as I used to (though it makes me feel stingy and un-caring). I might bring in cookies or cupcakes once a month... or two or four (2-4 months, not 2-4 times a month). I think it's a good, caring thing to do - something that makes people feel happy and contributes to morale. But to some people it's detrimental... and now my feelings are hurt and I feel unappreciated and awkward about future sharing.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
mmm Michelle's baking tastes like love in my belly! If they don't appreciate your baking well that's their problem.
ReplyDeleteAmanda
I concur!! Crazy, share anyway, they do have a choice! ~J
ReplyDeleteThough I see your point. Your way of expressing involvement in a relationship is to spend time making things you think would bring a smile to their face. Sometimes people don't realize what they are getting in the way of when they are trying to set boundaries. Is there a way you could achieve the desired end through a different means? Is there some treats you could make for them that would contribute to their goals rather than interrupt them? Maybe a batch of low fat, low calorie cranberry blueberry flax mini-muffins they could take home and throw in lunches. (I have a fantastic recipe if you'd like to try it)
ReplyDelete