Tuesday, September 25, 2012

There She Is!

See that blonde in the foreground there? Just right of center, with her back turned, holding up a camera?
That's my Mom!  She is there in Ephesus, in front of the Library of Celsus (or at least she was a few days ago). This is one of the famous things in Ephesus - a similar picture is in my Turkey book, minus my Mom's head.  It looks like she's taking a picture of whatever is on the right, though, and I have no idea what that would be. When you live vicariously through someone, your view is restricted to what they share with you and what your guidebook explains.  The guidebook does tell me, though, that the Library of Celsus held 12 000 scrolls, and that the humidity and temperature were regulated.  It was built in 114 CE, and destroyed in 262 CE.

This is a picture she sent me from Troy!  But I hear the horse is fake - both in the sense that, um, it's not a living horse, and that it's a modern reproduction of what the famous Trojan horse might have looked like.  (It sounds like you can go inside, though. Fun!)

I've really been enjoying the daily emails Mom has been sending me about her trip.  It feels like we're communicating more regularly now that she's on the other side of the world than when she is at home, but I guess we have all her new experiences to talk about. I feel like this makes me more a part of her trip, and I like that. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I think I used a picture of the library at Ephesus in my exegesis presentation. So beautiful!

    P.S. Let's talk soon! Tomorrow night?

    ReplyDelete